Welcome to Helsinki!

Monday, January 1, 2018
At 35,000 feet, I found myself above the clouds both literally and figuratively. My feeling of euphoria was due to my impending arrival in Finland as the plane began its descent toward Helsinki. Finland’s capital, Helsinki, is to be my home away from home for four months. Like all good homecomings, something must go not according to plan. In my case that would be a missing suitcase at baggage claim. Luckily, most of my winter gear and accessories were in my carry-on duffel bag. The airline would eventually deliver the piece of luggage to my apartment at Töölö Towers.

A warm welcome by Tatu (right).
Despite the hindrance of losing my bag, my Finnish welcome quickly turned around when I received a text message explaining that my friend in Kentucky had arranged for someone to pick my wife Kara and me up from the airport. That someone was Tatu Sinisalo, a talented Finnish actor and musician. In fact, just days before I had watched a movie he starred in titled, Teit Meistä Kauniin (You Made Us Beautiful) about the beginning of the popular Finnish rock band, Apulanta.

CLICK HERE for a 360-image of downtown.
Having Tatu as a welcome guide to Finland was the best thing that could of happened. Kara and I would have been lost without Tatu. He not only helped carry our luggage, he explained the train and tram station and knew exactly how to get to our Airbnb. Tatu and his friend Emilia even took us to the famous Helsinki Christmas Market where we had samples of cheese, cold smoked salmon, jerky, and chocolate. After enjoying a chicken and bleu cheese pizza, Kara and I gave our best attempt at singing Bon Jovi karaoke. Let’s just say it was a crowd pleaser.

First Full Day in Helsinki

My first full day in Helsinki consisted of running errands and learning lessons. One of those lessons dealt with the importance of cellular data. At 8 a.m. that morning, I awoke to steady rain and a dark sky. During Finland's winter, the sun does not rise until past 9 o’clock; it sets shortly after 3 p.m. This explains why so many Finnish businesses do not open until 9:00 or later.

With the address for my apartment complex, Töölö Towers, written on a piece of paper, I headed out the door. At the Airbnb, I had conducted some research about locating my housing facility using Wi-Fi, but it is not the same as having step-by-step directions as when connected to the Internet. After making several apparent wrong turns, I asked a supermarket clerk, a flower shop attendant, and a nice stranger walking his son how to get to Töölö Towers. None of these people had ever heard of the buildings. I was beginning to worry it did not exist. Finally, after a latte in a café, the barista pointed me in the right direction. We arrived at Töölö Towers wet, cold, tired, and hungry. Nevertheless, it was worth the effort to have stored my large luggage with reception while we traveled to Estonia and Lapland.

Having learned my lesson about cell data, I took Tatu’s advice and visited a Finnish phone company called DNA. For only 20 Euros a month, I now have unlimited data. The clouds parted and the sun brightened the moment I put the new sim card into my phone. If only I had had data when searching for Töölö Towers. Even though I cannot make calls, I can still use all my apps and iMessage with friends and family.

CLICK HERE to view a 360-image of Rock Church.
Equipped with cellular data, I was ready to take on the world…or at least Helsinki. I used my GPS to navigate to Temppeliaukio Lutheran Church, or Rock Church. On all sides of the circular church are excavated stone. Water seeps in and slowly trickles down sections of the rock wall. The church’s dome is coated with copper. A skylight just below the dome invites natural light to fill the room. It is no wonder Church of the Rock is one of Helsinki’s most popular tourist attractions.

Kara photographing the Christmas display.
Later that evening, Kara and I found ourselves once again downtown on Christmas Street. With lights strewn around trees and above the road, this is a great place to pass the time when night falls (which is very early I might add). On this street you will find Helsinki’s famous Stockmann Department Store. Known for being the largest department store in the Nordic countries, every Christmas, Stockmann create a stunning window display. Just imagine the opening scene of the classic holiday film, A Christmas Story.

The Stockmann Window Display
My first day in Helsinki included an assortment of sights, sounds, and tastes. The Nepalese cuisine delightful; the hot cocoa rich; the singer at Rock Church marvelous; and the holiday lights mesmerizing. I must not forget to enjoy sensations like these even when things seem most hectic. To experience is to learn. As Helsinki welcomes me, I welcome all the Finnish adventures to come. Each experience will help me to understand Finland better than any guide book ever could.

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top